Mobility training is a free one-on-one or group training program to help people with disabilities and senior citizens learn to use Regional Transportation Commission of Southern Nevada (RTC) fixed-route transit service safely and properly. Mobility training is meant to aid people in developing the skills and confidence necessary to travel independently.
Jim Shampoe, Mobility Training Supervisor, gives a tour of The Mobility Training Center (MTC) – a 14,700-square-foot facility located at the RTC’s Sunset Maintenance Facility: 5165 W. Sunset Rd. in the southern part of the valley. The RTC’s transit Route 103 – Decatur provides service to the facility.
For Senior Centers and Senior Living Communities
The Regional Transportation Commission of Southern Nevada (RTC) offers a free on-site training for senior citizens who are interested in maintaining their independence by using the fixed route city buses. We know that asking family members and friends for rides may be difficult at times; therefore, let us teach your seniors everything that they need to know about riding the city buses. RTC will demonstrate how easy, affordable and safe riding can be!
The RTC will come to your senior center or senior living community to conduct a group training for the seniors. Here is what’s included in the Seniors on the GO training:
- PowerPoint presentation about the RTC Fixed Route Transit Services
- How to use the transit guide and pocket map (FREE guides and maps included with training)
- How to route your trip using the transit guide and/or RTC Mobile App
- Finding the closest bus stop to your home and destination
- FREE demo ride on a city bus (request a city bus to be brought onto your site)
- Demonstration of how to use the fare box and request your stop
- How to safely enter and exit the bus with a mobility device
- FREE reduced fare ID cards for all eligible seniors attending the training
- FREE refreshments!
Those who are interested in the Seniors on the GO training, we ask that you have at least 10 or more seniors attend the training. Training dates and times may vary. The length of time for the training is about 2 hours. This includes the PowerPoint presentation, free demo ride on the bus and reduced fare ID forms.
*NOTE: Another option is to take a field trip with your seniors to our Mobility Training Center. The Mobility Training Center has a large classroom where we are able to conduct the training. Not only will the seniors get the full training, they will also get a tour of the Mobility Training Center, where they can see what other services the RTC offers. Please let us know if you are interested in this option.
Seniors on the GO Referral Form
If you would like to schedule a Seniors on the GO training, please complete the referral form below and an RTC mobility specialist will contact you.