About the Study
The disparity study will focus on construction, professional services, non-professional services, and supplies contracts and procurements LAS and RTC awarded between July 1, 2017 and June 30, 2022. The core purpose of the disparity study will be to examine whether there are any disparities between:
- The percentage of contract dollars LAS and RTC spent with small businesses, as well as with POC-, woman-, LGBTQ-, and veteran-owned businesses during the study period (utilization); and
- The percentage of contract dollars small businesses, as well as POC-, woman-, LGBTQ-, and veteran-owned businesses might be expected to receive based on their availability to perform specific types and sizes of LAS and RTC contracts (availability).
The study will also examine other information related to:
- Legal considerations surrounding the implementation of small business programs, as well as POC-, woman-, LGBTQ-, and veteran-owned business programs;
- Marketplace conditions throughout Southern Nevada for POCs, women, members of the LGBTQ+ community, veterans, and POC-, woman-, LGBTQ-, and veteran-owned businesses;
- Contracting policies and business assistance programs LAS and RTC currently have in place; and
- Program measures for the agencies to consider implementing to further encourage the participation of small businesses, as well as POC-, woman-, LGBTQ-, and veteran-owned business participation in its work.
BBC initiated the disparity study in December 2022 and will complete the study at the end of March 2024.
LAS and RTC will provide regular updates about BBC’s progress on the disparity study throughout its course. Please check back periodically for those updates.
LAS, RTC, and BBC kicked off the disparity study in December 2022 with a series of meetings with various representatives from LAS, RTC, and local business organizations. BBC introduced the study, answered questions, and began the process of understanding contracting and vendor data LAS and RTC maintain. For the initiation presentation, click here.
BBC has begun working with LAS and RTC to collect data on contracts and procurements LAS and RTC awarded during the study period as well as information about the vendors that participated in that work.
The project team conducted two community meetings with relevant stakeholders on January 17, 2023. During the community meetings, BBC presented information about the disparity study, answered questions, and solicited participants for any verbal or written testimony regarding their experiences working in the local marketplace. For the community meeting presentation, click here.
BBC will engage in the following disparity study tasks in the coming months:
- Data collection. The project team will continue to work with LAS and RTC to collect data on contracts and procurements the agencies awarded during the study period and the vendors that participated in that work.
- Data analysis. BBC will begin the data analysis process by compiling data it receives from LAS and RTC and assessing the subindustries that account for the majority of LAS and RTC contracting and procurement as well as the geographical area that accounts for the vast majority of vendors that compete for that work (i.e., relevant geographic market area, or RGMA).
- Availability surveys. The project team will begin conducting availability surveys with businesses in RGMA that perform work relevant to LAS and RTC contracting and procurement. If we contact your business, please participate in the survey process to help ensure an accurate and comprehensive study!
In-depth interviews. The study team will begin conducting in-depth interviews with business owners throughout the local marketplace. The interviews will provide the study team with detailed information about marketplace conditions related to starting a business, trying to grow a business, working with local public agencies, and a variety of other topics. If we contact your business, please participate in the interview process to help ensure an accurate and comprehensive study!