The school year has started!
Here are important back-to-school safety tips that you and your child should know and use throughout the school year:
- Make sure your child avoids walking or being behind the bus and the bus driver can always see them.
- Make sure your child knows to stay within the crosswalk and to obey traffic signals when crossing the street.
- Make sure your child never darts across the street or between parked cars.
- Make sure your child recognizes their location when walking to/from school.
- Make sure your child wears a seatbelt when you're driving them to school.
- Make sure your child understands the basic rules of walking to school and practicing it with them.
- Make sure your child always wears a properly fitted helmet and bright clothing when riding a bike to school.
- Make sure your child's backpack is fully strapped on both shoulders evenly.
- Make sure your child's backpack is not overstuffed. Keep them balanced and comfortable.
- Make sure you talk to your teens about safe driving and give them tips on how to be a responsible driver.