2013-2016 Transportation Improvement Program
What is the Transportation Improvement Program (TIP)
The Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) is a fiscally constrained financial plan of transportation projects approved to receive federal funding over the next four years. Projects selected for the TIP are priorities for the region in all surface transportation areas including transit, roadway and highways, bicycle and pedestrian, rehabilitation, and transportation operations.
The Regional Transportation Commission of Southern Nevada (RTC), the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for Southern Nevada, develops the TIP in a collaborative effort with local governments, transit and transportation agencies, and the Nevada Department of Transportation (NDOT).
To engage the public, RTC published the TIP document for public review and comments for a 45-day period, which started on October 12, 2012 and ended on November 26, 2012. During the 45-day period, public information meetings and public hearings were conducted throughout Clark County.
Who Approves the TIP
The current 2013-2016 TIP was adopted by the RTC Board on December 13, 2012. The Nevada Department of Transportation incorporated the RTC TIP into the Statewide TIP, which was approved by the Federal Highway Administration on March 20, 2013.
The TIP is required to be updated at least every four years, however, changes in project implementation schedule, funding, or description require administrative modification and/or amendment to the TIP. Below are the lists of amendments and administrative modifications made to the TIP after adoption by the RTC Board on December 13, 2012.
Table 1-Project List by Sponsoring Entity and Table 4-Project List by Fund Source are updated as of May 2014, to reflect the following TIP amendments and administrative modifications requested by the area agencies.
- Administrative Amendment Clark 7. Adjusted the Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Program funds: RTP project numbers 1579, 1590, 2050, 2709, 2710, 2715, 2716, 2718, 2760, 2761, 2771, 2776, 2773, 2777, 2780, 2787, 2795, 2796, 5074, 5076, 5079, 5080, 5081, 5083, and 5093. Adjusted the Transportation Alternatives Program funds: RTP project numbers 6014, 6015, and 6016. Adjusted the National Highway Performance Program, Fuel Tax Indexing, and Surface Transportation Program Statewide funds: RTP project number 221. Status: Approved
- Administrative Amendment Clark 6. NDOT requested funding adjustments to the Interstate 15 (I-15) at Starr Avenue Interchange, Clark County-215 North Beltway at I-15, and Laughlin Bridge projects in the TIP. Status: Approved
- Administrative Amendment Clark5 & 5A. NDOT requested changes to adjust and add Highway Safety Improvement Program funded projects, add funds to the Clark County-215 North Beltway at US 95 Interchange project, and add a grant funded project to the TIP. Considered programming CMAQ funds to three City of Henderson projects (Boulder Highway Trail Bus Turnout; Street and Trail Sweepers; and Traffic Signal Coordination) as well as one RTC project (purchase of Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) buses as part of the RTC’s fleet replacement program). Status: Approved
- Administrative Amendment Clark 4-2014. The Nevada Department of Transportation (NDOT) requested to increase the Project Neon Phase 1 funds programmed in the TIP for the preliminary engineering and right-of-way acquisition. Status: Approved
- Administrative Modification Clark 3-2014: The change requested in this modification has authorized the RTC to purchase vehicles, install additional bus shelters and improve transit security in the Las Vegas region. Status: Approved
- Administrative Modification Clark 12A-2013, 13-2013, 14-2013, and Clark 2-2014. Status: Approved
- Amendment Clark 1-2014: The RTP and TIP are amended to add the RTC Boulder City Bypass project and NDOT Highway Safety Improvement Program projects. Other minor project changes and corrections are made as part of this amendment. Status: Approved
- Amendment Clark 12: In this amendment, highway and transit programs are adjusted to move unobligated funds from Federal Fiscal Year 2013 to 2014. Other changes included in this amendment are the addition of projects under Transportation Alternatives, Elderly and Disabled, and Urbanized Area Formula Programs. Status: Approved.
- Administrative Modification Clark 11: The TIP is modified to adjust the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Section 5307 Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Program funding program and projects in the Federal Fiscal Year 2013 of the TIP. The changes requested in this modification will support the operation of express bus routes and purchase of paratransit vehicles serving the Las Vegas region. Status: Approved.
- Administrative Modification Clark 10: The TIP is modified to adjust Surface Transportation Program Clark funds for the City of North Las Vegas North 5th Street and Carey Avenue roadway rehabilitation projects. Status: Approved.
- Administrative Modification Clark 9: The TIP is modified to adjust the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Section 5316 New Freedom Program funded projects in the Federal Fiscal Year (FFY) 2013 of the TIP. This modification will add FTA Section 5310 Program funds to the transit projects serving the transportation needs of the elderly and disabled persons in the Las Vegas region. Status: Approved.
- Administrative Modification Clark 8: The TIP is modified to make changes to the Surface Transportation Program Clark (STP Clark) funds for the City of Las Vegas Main Street/Commerce Street One-Way couplet and the Martin Luther King Boulevard/Industrial Road Connector projects. The City of Las Vegas has also requested a change to the Oakey Boulevard Bicycle Lane project limits. Status: Approved.
- Amendment Clark 7: The TIP is amended to add the City of Mesquite Pioneer Bike Trail project in the Federal Fiscal Year (FFY) 2013 of the TIP. This amendment includes additional changes to balance the FFY 2013 STP Clark funds. Those changes will move the STP Clark funds from FFY 2013 to FFY 2014 for the City of Las Vegas’ Decatur Boulevard and Eastern Avenue resurfacing projects. Status: Approved.
- Administrative Modification Clark 6: Clark County’s Durango Drive Signal inter-connect project limits changed. Status: Approved.
- Amendment Clark 5: Nevada Department of Transportation added a project to study traffic operation and management under a Multi State I-15 Mobility Alliance. Status: Approved.
- Administrative Modification Clark 3: City of Las Vegas Oakey blvd. bicycle lane project limits changed. Status: Approved.
- Administrative Modification Clark 2: Fiscal year 2013 Transit funding program was adjusted to buy buses and para-transit vans. Approved
- Amendment Clark 3: A project was added to support operation of RTC express routes. Status: Pending
- Amendment Clark 2: As additional CMAQ and STP Clark funds made available to RTC new projects were added and projects from the back of the TIP brought forward to obligate funds. Status: Approved.